Thursday 22 January 2009

If it feels good...

I'm always reading interviews with authors who sound so very disciplined in the way they write. You now the kind of thing: I write every morning from 8 until 2 then I'm finished for the day. Or, more scarily, I start in the morning and don't stop until I've written 1,000 words. And so many people seem to have every single part of their book mapped out in minute detail - graphs and charts or seperate files for each character and plot strand and....

I've got a stack of papers all muddled up in an A4 Box file, a filing cabinet filled with random snippets and bits of paper all over the house. Plus of course notebooks filled with pages of scribbles in every handbag I own.

So there's always that worry of 'Am I doing this right?'

But if I spent too long worrying about that I'd never get anything done. And as it is I keep flicking on to the Internet for 'research':

vaccinations required for Zambia
Dates of term times
Details of Leeds Festival
Oh...new boots....must check those out....

So I guess we all have our own way of working and if it feels good and we're happy with what we're getting written, well it's got to be 'right' for us.

No comments: